FOR SCHOOL ATTENDANCE
KFour (4) or more of DTaP or DT, or any combination. If all four doses were given before the 4th birthday, a fifth (5) dose is required. If the fourth dose was administered at least six months after the third dose, and on or after the 4th birthday, a fifth (5) dose is not required.*
Four (4) or more of DTaP or DT, or any combination. Three doses of Td or a combination of Td and Tdap is the minimum acceptable for children age seven (7) and up.
One (1) dose of Tdap vaccine must be administered prior to entry.**
Another name for Tdap is Adacel or Boosterix.
Three (3) or more doses of IPV. The FINAL dose must be administered on or after the 4th birthday regardless of the number of previous doses. If a combination of OPV and IPV was received, four (4) doses of either vaccine are required.***
Three (3) or more doses of IPV or OPV. If the third dose of either series was received prior to the fourth birthday, a fourth (4) dose is required; If a combination of OPV and IPV was received, four (4) doses of either vaccine are required.
Two (2) doses of MMR. Dose 1 must be administered on or after the first birthday. The second dose must be administered at least 28 days after dose 1.
Three (3) doses of Hepatitis B. The second dose must be administered at least 28 days after the first dose. The third dose must be given at least 16 weeks after the first dose and at least 8 weeks after the second dose.
The last dose in the series (third or fourth dose), must not be administered before age 24 weeks.
Two (2) doses of varicella vaccine must be administered prior to entry. Dose 1 must be administered on or after the first birthday. The second dose should be administered at least three (3) months after dose one (1); however, if the second dose is administered at least 28 days after first dose, it is considered valid.
One (1) dose of varicella vaccine must be administered on or after the first birthday.
- Vaccine should be administered according to the most recent version of the Recommended Immunization Schedules for Persons Aged 0 Through 18 Years or the Catch-up Immunization Schedule for Persons Aged 4 Months Through 18 Years Who Start Late or Who Are More Than 1 Month Behind, as published by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. Schedules are available for print or download at http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/index.html.
- Vaccine doses administered ≤ 4 days before the minimum interval or age are valid (grace period). Doses administered ≥ 5 days earlier than the minimum interval or age are not valid doses and should be repeated as age-appropriate. If MMR and Varicella are not given on the same day, the doses must be separated by at least 28 days with no grace period.
- For additional information please refer to the Ohio Administrative Code 5101:2-12-37 for Child Care, Head Start, Pre-School and the Ohio Revised Code 3313.67 and 3313.671 for School Attendance and the ODH Director’s Journal Entry (available at www.odh.ohio.gov, Immunization: Required Vaccines for Childcare and School). These documents list required and recommended immunizations and indicate exemptions to immunizations.
- Please contact the Ohio Department of Health Immunization Program at (800) 282-0546 or (614) 466-4643 with questions or concerns.
* Recommended DTaP or DT minimum intervals for Kindergarten students: four (4) weeks between doses 1-2 and 2-3; six (6) month minimum intervals between doses 3-4 and 4-5. If a fifth dose is administered prior to the 4th birthday, a sixth dose is recommended, but not required.
** Pupils who received one dose of Tdap as part of the initial series are not required to receive another dose. For students in 11th or 12th grades, one dose of Td (Tetanus and diphtheria) is acceptable. Tdap can be given regardless of the interval since the last Tetanus or diphtheria- toxoid containing vaccine. DTaP given to patients age 7 or older can be counted as valid for the one-time Tdap dose.
*** The final polio dose in the IPV series must be administered at age 4 or older with at least six months between the final and previous dose.
ODH Immunization 02-14-15
IMM SCH Sum 2015-16.docx