September 25, 2011
CURRICULUM UPDATES JUNE 2012
Revised content standards adopted in five areas
At its June meeting, the State Board of Education adopted several sets of newly revised content standards that were developed over the past two years. Many stakeholders throughout Ohio representing the education, business and professional sectors actively contributed to the revision process for these standards. Their participation informed the process and resulted in instructional guidelines that will better prepare students to contribute to a 21st century global community. Full implementation of these revised standards will take place during the 2014-2015 academic year. ODE’s focus will turn now to the creation of a companion model curriculum for each area, with a completion target of summer 2013. The revised standards are:
- Fine arts – Four sets of K-12 revised standards were adopted (in dance, drama/theatre, music and visual art) and are posted here, along with participants of the working groups;
- World languages – These standards will guide instruction in all languages taught in Ohio’s K-12 settings, including modern, classical and American Sign languages. Along with an introductory PowerPoint presentation, these K-12 standards will be posted here in early July.
Three sets of business/financial standards posted here are those in:
- Financial Literacy, which will guide the integration of economics and financial literacy instruction within social studies or other middle or high school classes;
- Entrepreneurship, which will help K-12 students understand entrepreneurship’s role in American economics and identify the personal interests, skills and abilities necessary to become an entrepreneur; and
- Business Education, which outlines learning expectations for traditional high school instruction encompassing business law, accounting, international business, business communication, marketing, economics, business management, information technology and 21st century skill development.