At the beginning of each school year, or at pupil's initial entry, a pupil has fourteen (14) days to present evidence that he/she is in compliance with the State School Immunization Law. If, after the end of the 14 day grace period, the pupil has not submitted written evidence of compliance, the pupil will be excluded from school until evidence is submitted.
current immunization requirements are as follows:
4 Doses: Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis Vaccine (A fifth DTP vaccine is required if the fourth dose was administered prior to the fourth birthday)
3 Doses: Polio Vaccine (A fourth dose of polio vaccine is required if the third dose was administered prior to the fourth birthday)
1 Dose each: Measles, Mumps, Rubella Vaccine. (Administered at age 12 month or older) The second MMR dose is required at Kindergarten entry. The exclusion requirement for the Kindergarten-entry second MMR will extend to students in Kindergarten and first grade.
3 Doses: Hepatitis B Vaccine
1 Dose: Varicella ( chicken pox) Vaccine
A pupil is in compliance if he/she meets one of the following five criteria:
1. The pupil submits written evidence that he/she meets or exceeds the minimum immunization requirements.
2. The pupil submits a statement, signed by his/her physician, that immunization may be detrimental to the pupil's health.
3. The pupil submits a statement signed by his/her parent of guardian that the parent or guardian objects to immunization for good cause, including religious convictions.
4. The pupil submits written evidence that he/she is "in the process" of completing the required immunizations. "In the process" means that the pupil is immunized against measles, mumps, and rubella and has gad at least one dose of DPT/Td vaccine, one dose of polio vaccine, and one dose of Hepatitis B vaccine.
5. A pupil who has had natural chicken pox, and presents a signed statement from the pupil’s parent, guardian, or physician to that effect, is not required to be immunized against chicken pox.
The Huron County Health Department located at 180 Milan Avenue in Norwalk holds immunization clinics on Wednesday. Please refer to the following schedule:
1 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. third Wednesday of the month
1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. second Wednesday of the month
2:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. first Wednesday of the month or call for an appointment
1:00 p.m.- 3:00 p.m. fourth Tuesday of the month at Family Health Partners